CMR Focus: Victorian Local Government
Local Government Authorities (LGAs) in Victoria are significantly more than roads, rates and rubbish. In fact, the 79 councils that exist as the third tier of Australian government are responsible for some of the most significant Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander initiatives in the country.
- It was at the LGA level that stands were made against celebrating 26 January.
- It is at the LGA level that major changes are being made in Aboriginal employment.
- In many cases it is LGAs that provide direct support to local Aboriginal gathering places.
- For many LGAs, an Aboriginal voice to government has been a reality for years!
Victorian Local Government is one of the select focus points of Connection Matters Radio (CMR). With this focus we cover key areas, including:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander representatives/councillors
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander voices to government
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment
- LGA relationships with Traditional Owner groups